CountertopChoosing the right type of material for your new countertops can be hard if you don’t know much about the different surfaces. Here, we will go over the good and bad for granite, solid surface and quartz. Hopefully, this will enable you to choose the best material for your countertop or floors.

The Pros and Cons of Granite

A lot of people choose granite countertops for their kitchens and bathrooms because it looks good. However, the cost of this material can be on the high end. Granite is a 100% natural stone material that is derived from the earth. Once dug up from the ground, factories polish, hone or texture the stone with a finish that makes it look shiny. The stone comes in different colors and patterns. It’s a great material for kitchens because it is resistant to heat, moisture and scratches, which is deal for people who cook often. Only equally hard materials and harsh abrasives can scratch granite. It usually needs to be resealed every so often because it is porous.

The Pros and Cons of Quartz

Another material that is frequently used for countertops and floors is quartz. Unlike with granite, quartz is only 93% natural. The other 7% is made up of manufactured resin binder. The patterns you’ll find with this material is pretty consistent, along with the colors. Like granite, quartz is pretty resistant to heat, however you should use pot holders before placing hot pans on the counter. Although it is scratch-resistant, when scratches do emerge, it can be repaired by a professional. Because it is non-porous, it is anti-bacterial. A lot of restaurants choose this material for that reason. There’s no need to seal quartz either. For cost, it is about the same as mid-priced granite.

The Pros and Cons of Solid Surface

Solid surface is made up of 65% natural stone, 30% resin and 5% pigments. It comes with a matte finish and usually has one uniform color and pattern. Like the quartz and granite, solid surface is resistant to heat, making it ideal for cooking. However, you should use a pot holder for crock pots and heated pots and pans. Unlike granite, solid surface can be scratched and cut, but it can be repaired professionally. It too is non-porous and anti-bacterial. It’s not required to be sealed. Instead, it can be sanded to make it look like new again. The pricing for solid surface depends on the color group you choose from.

Did this help you decide which stone you want for your floors or countertops? Hire the licensed professionals at CA Green Remodeling to do the installation. Call today!

, , , , ,